Friday, January 15, 2010

Redwoods

Humboldt Redwood Forest was not on our itinerary, but the predicted snow along I-5 had us looking for an alternative route home. I'm so glad we took this route. It is a gorgeous drive. We were going to pass it in the night and drive from San Francisco to Eureka and arrive at midnight, but Parker woke up at 11pm and threw up.... so, we stopped early. We stayed at a little motel and realized that we were 5 miles from Humboldt State Park.



This is inside the Chimney tree looking up.



I drove THROUGH a redwood tree. How cool is that?! There are 4 in the Humboldt State Forest. This is the Shrine Tree.
Close!
Made it!
Looking back.
Redwood Tree house
Parker kissing the bear

A big, wooden vehicle.
I loved how the light shined through these trees.





While driving, I saw a sign for wild elk, saw a good size herd and quickly pulled off the road.



I was actually standing in the road taking these pictures. I planned my escape route to the car if one started to charge me.

Paul Bunyon and Babe, the Blue Ox
My new boyfriend
The gorgeous views on the way home
We made it home safe and sound. It was a great trip!

2 comments:

Hailey Vial said...

What a great trip! I think your "boyfriend" is cute!

Jennifer, Thierry, Xavier, Julien, and Aurélie said...

Wow. Great pictures. We plan on going to the redwoods as well next year so it is nice to see some pictures to get us all excited.